Thursday, March 10, 2011

Flag progress

I'm still working on the flag wall hanging.  I found an Air Force insignia at Embroidery Library.  They have some really nice designs and I get a lot of them from there.  If you sign up for their emails, they have weekly specials, coupons, and $1 designs.  I highly recommend the site.
I combined the Air Force insignia with Rene's information using my embroidery program.  The above is my computer screen with the design in the hoop, ready to be transferred to my sewing machine which is connected to the computer with a USB cable. I have a Pfaff 2140 (which I do NOT recommend... but that's another rant).
The machine stitches out the design.  I think this design had over 43,000 stitches and took about 2 hours.  It's kinda nerve wracking doing a design this big as so many things could go wrong during the stitch out (at least on my unreliable Pfaff 2140) which would cause it to start over... but luckily, I had no problems and it stitched out beautifully.
This will be used in the bottom border of the wall hanging.  I have some photos I received that I downloaded, cropped, and printed onto fabric which I may put on the top border.  I'm waiting to see the total number of photos I should incorporate before I decide where they will be placed.

Earlier this week, I pieced some 1/2" stripes of white and red fabric, which I will cut into 1.5" strips and use for a smaller border probably between this larger blue border and the flag.
I think I have all the pieces to this quilt ready to assemble.  I'm just waiting for my smaller stars fabric.  It always makes me nervous making something for someone else.  I want it to be perfect.

No comments:

Post a Comment