Monday, February 6, 2012

Sewing!

Simplicity 2054 might just be my new favorite knit dress.  Cynthia Rowley Dress Pattern .
 It goes together quick, the slit in the sleeve is unique and I love the circle scarf idea!   
I'm wearing it today with printed tights, boots,and a long chain necklace.  I didn't wear the scarf today.  I made it from a heavy poly knit.  It's probably a ponte; it's a bit more stretchy than a double knit, and a smidge thinner. The scarf I made with some rayon knit because it's much lighter weight. 


I also have the silk chiffon I dyed last week and not quite sure what to make, so I made up this top using some ombre silk chiffon I recently purchased from Fabric Mart.  I hate sewing chiffon because it wiggles and ripples.  I wanted something with as few seams as possible. (sorry, but I don't recall the pattern; I'll find it and post later)  You can see that my neckline still has waves.  Not sure how to prevent that?  I used my serger to do a rolled hem on the edge and that worked out nicely. 
I'm not sure I will wear this style, so I'm going to keep looking for another pattern to use with my dyed chiffon.

I made up another slip using some poly charmeuse my friend Kathi gave me.  I used an old Stretch and Sew pattern for this and it's so easy.  You really don't even need a pattern if you wanted to make a slip.  You just need about 3" of ease and the length is whatever fits your dress(es)

And finally, my guest room closet is cleaned out and ready for some new shelves, bins, and garment poles.  I went to The Container Store last week (they are having their 30% off sale) with the closet measurements and they created a plan.  I liked their plan, and they are coming on thursday to install.   Here's the closet area before I cleaned it out

you can see it's an odd shape.  and doesn't have a wall on the right side and the ceiling slopes.  I took the doors off several years ago, but now wish I didn't.  So after the new shelves and poles are added, I'm going to buy some new doors.  Here's a photo of the space cleaned out.
This is wear I keep my jackets.. all crammed in there on that 1 pole; and bins of fabric and junk to the right.
Can wait for the new set up which will include 2 poles so my jackets can breathe... or I can make more and not cram them in there and maybe actually see what I have!

2 comments:

  1. Once again, you made up a pattern that I passed in the books and it looks great...you have a much better eye than I do. The before and after of the closet is pretty impressive. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've seen that chiffon at Fabric Mart and keep thinking about buying some!They had some blue ombre I loved better,but that sold out first,of course.lol

    ReplyDelete