Monday, March 19, 2012

THIS is what I am meant to do

I love, love, LOVE teaching, encouraging, enabling  (whatever you want to call it) teens and kids to sew! 
This past weekend me and my fellow enablers volunteered to teach a Teen Sewing Camp at the Glendale Quilt Guild's Quilt Show.  This is a big local Show - although I do believe people fly in from all over to go to this.  We had 17 students.  We prepared kits from donated fabrics and supplies.  These kits were provided to the teens/kids for free.  The Guild charged $20 per person to cover the cost of the venue.  What a deal! 

Their choices were: tote bag (with optional pocket and/or applique); drawstring beach bag; zippered pouch (they love this one.. and there was no zipper fear!); pillowcase (great beginner project); and 9 patch pillow (in keeping with the quilt show theme). The class was from 10-4 with an hour (or so) for lunch.  During lunch, I encouraged the kids to check out the Show, look at the quilts, and visit the vendors, both to give them inspiration and me and my fellow enablers a break!.  My feet were sore at the end of the day, but oh how good I felt to share my love of sewing. 





We were invited back for next year!  

No comments:

Post a Comment